Sometimes we can fall into a “rinse and repeat” cycle and feel the need to break regular habits by trying something different by exploring new ideas or visiting new places. A great way to do this is collaborating with other creative professionals sharing the skills and techniques we have built in our own work and creating new images with these new ideas. Adding in a new destination is another great way to inspire with fresh views, new experiences and loads of new people met along the way and the creative juices will overflow.
So on November 16th I plan to do just that and fund a personal project with a fellow photographer and friend, Michael Vettas – Vettas Media. Where will we be going and what adventures will in the viewfinder? First to Iceland for three weeks followed by another two in Canada and all at the start of winter. As an outdoor lifestyle photographer based in Sydney, Australia I undoubtedly have seen my share of sunny hot days, so heading to some cold winter climates will be a refreshing and exciting prospect to make changes and find new creative ideas within myself. Activities like ice-caving, quad bikes, dog-sledding, glacier lagoons, snow-shoeing, ice-climbing and enjoying some time to slow down and reflect while shooting landscapes with night stars and aurora borealis.
What also has been a goal with this journey is to work some like minded companies using their products while out in the field and sharing their support of our journey in personal and visual exploration. Without the support of these great companies the ability to produce some great images would be very difficult as the products they produce are perfect for the conditions I will be traveling over these 5 weeks.
Supporting the Iceland – Canada adventure so far are the following great companies:
- Goal Zero Australia solar products for recharging camera batteries and laptops. #SolarLife #GetOutStayOut #OfficeAnywhere
- F-Stop Gear camera backpacks providing newest Tilopa. #FStopGear Be sure to check out these bags at The Outdoor Shack
- Battery Business have provided replacement and backup batteries for my Nikon gear and GoPros to ensure the cameras keep shooting in the cold.
- GoEcco tour company in Iceland are taking us Ice-caving and their guides are actively searching out the best caves for this winter season.
- Lagoon Rental Cars have gratiously provided us with transportation for the entire 3weeks in Iceland, 4WD and studded tyres should prove to be fun.
- Reykjavik Bike Tours will be taking me for a spin around the city but staff FatBike/Downhill rider Helgi will be providing the action for some fun snow photo-shoots.
- Quad biking tour provided by Safari Quads taking out us out for a spin in the snow.
- Iceland Magazine will be posting some images during the trip read about them here and when we return to Australia an article about the trip will be featured locally.
- Keeping our feet on the ground and firmly gripped to the ice GripRox have provided use crampons that fit any boot ensuring we stay safe.
Discussions with some other great companies are still in the planning stages so when these finalize in the coming weeks will be sure to update this post with the great news. To follow this trip on Instagram and other sites I will be using the hashtag #GiRoIceland and Michael will be #VettasinIceland be sure to follow our antics and enjoy what is sure to be a great adventure.